To vote in a Saskatchewan provincial election or by-election you must be:

  • A Canadian citizen;
  • At least 18 years old;
  • A Saskatchewan resident for at least the last 6 months.

You can also vote if:

  • you are a British subject who was qualified as a voter on June 23, 1971
  • you meet the residency requirements stated above.

Special Eligibility Rules for Saskatchewan Voters

You need ID to vote

Before you are handed a ballot at a voting place, you must show the election worker ID that confirms your name and address. If that sounds like a problem, vouching may be an option.

Option 1. Driver’s Licence. It has your name and address and is all you need.

Option 2. Two pieces of ID. Both must show your name and at least one shows your current address. There are 50+ options in the list below.

Option 3. Vouching. If you do not have any ID, another voter can vouch for you. An eligible voter, who knows you and lives in the same constituency as you, may vouch for you at the voting place when you arrive to vote in-person.

Acceptable ID options:

Proof of Identity Proof of Identity and Address

Birth Certificate 

Canada Border Services Agency ID

Canadian Blood Services Donor Card

Canadian Forces ID

Canadian Passport


CIC Citizenship Card


Credit Card

Debit Card

Driver’s Licence (Saskatchewan)

Firearms Possession Licence

Fishing, Trapping, Hunting Licence

Government Employee Card

Health Card (Saskatchewan)

Hospital Bracelet

Indian Status Card

Métis Nation Status Card

Old Age Security (OAS) Card

Other ID (Government, Municipality, School Division, Indian Band)

Pleasure Craft Operators Licence

Parole Card

Passport of a Foreign State

Radio Operator Card

Social Insurance Card

Student Card from Post-Secondary Institution

Union ID

Veterans Affairs Health Card

Voter Information Card

Wildlife Certificate

Admission Form (Shelter, Student, Seniors Residence) 

Attestation of Residence

Bank Statement

Blank Cheque with the Voter’s Name

Certificate of Title

Cheque (Government, Municipality, School Division, Indian Band)

Credit Card Statement

Crop Insurance Statement

Court Document

Employer Paycheque

Government Benefits Statement (Employment Insurance, OAS, Social Assistance, Disability Support, Child Tax Benefit, Workers’ Compensation)

Income Tax Assessment

Insurance Policy

Letter of Authorization from a First Nations Band

Letter of Stay (Shelter, Student, Seniors Residence)

Mortgage or Lease Statement

Pension Statement

Post-Secondary Mail

Property Tax Assessment

Public Guardian or Trustee Letter

Utility Bill (telephone, power, cable)

Vehicle Registration

Voter Information Card from a Saskatchewan Municipality

Vote by mail acceptable ID options